View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
teebutterfly
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 019 Crate issues & ongoing potty issues

I have gotten tremendous support just from reading everyone else's posts on here so figured I'd try again.

My little Tobie (12 weeks Wed) is getting much more comfortable with his surroundings. I came home yesterday to see he'd pooped ON TOP of his crate in his pin that I leave him in. We couldn't find a gate long enough to go across the kitchen so we have one of those metal adjustable pins. He does pee on the pads, but the poop thing, we have trouble with that and I realize that it will take awhile to fully potty train.

We do our routine each day and night of going to the potty pad and standing there, and after several minutes when we leave and no pee, he pees on the carpet instantly after leaving the pee pads which is frustrating. If he tries to poop on the carpet I scoop him up and put him on the pad, but he won't go on the pad and after leaving, will poop on the carpet. I don't want him to get constipated, but not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have been working on leaving him in his crate at night until he settles down and gets quiet and then get him out and let him sleep up on the bed with me trying to extend the time in his crate each time. I really want him to be able to spend all night in there but worry I am send him mixed messages. I am a little mixed in my feelings about the crate because I feel like he's been through 2 separations (1 from his mom and pack, 2 from his sister) and needs that reassurance by sleeping with me, but I want him to get used to his crate. I left the crate outside the pin today and only left him with his pillow and toys, water and food.

p.s. is it normal for yorkies to only eat like a tablespoon of food at a time? Is it too early to introduce cottage cheese, yogurt and carrots?
Any suggestions? I know this was a lot of questions but thanks. Please help!

Thanks,
Tonya
teebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!