View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Goldielocks19
Senior Yorkie Talker

I think it is very important to introduce them on neutral territory first...maybe family or friends house....this way the older one gets to meet ure new pup without the territory feeling.
It sometimes take time for them to co-exist. I had this delusion my now 6 mos old pup and my 8 yr old would become BFF (best friends forever)
At first the oldest johnny wouldnt even talk to the puppy or even us! For a good month he ignored everyone and just hung out in a corner....and if the puppy touched one of his toys he wouldnt play with it anymore...same thing happened with his bed :-)
It took a month for him to accept the puppy isnt leaving lol.
Now they co-exist together...they arent BFF but i think everyday the puppy is growing on him.

I made sure i gave the oldest special attention...when i came home i always greeted the oldest first....then the puppy.....also i would put the puppy in the bedroom for about 30 mins a day and only played with the older one.
When feeding and dispensing treats the oldest always gets his first.

HTH i was so upset at first when johnny was ignoring us, i even cryed...and boy did i feel silly!!! my hubby was laughing at me!!
Good luck
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!