View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
Ladyhawk
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie3
I am so appreciative to have knowledgeable people on this forum!!!

Okay this morning I took my golden in for her annual and while I was there I asked about my Yorkies and the calcim. Remember during Emilee's last pregnancy my Vet had me give her Pet-Cal (1/4 tablet everyday)before her whelping. I told him what I had read on YT. He said he disagreed because the puppies also need that calcium especially when their bones start calcifying (sp) and it can be depleted very easily depending on the mother. That in his opinion he would give the 1/4 calcium tablet and always recommends it. He did say it wasn't good to OVER supplement, but he stands by the 1/4 tablet before whelping and after.

Now I'm just not sure what to do. I trust the knowledgeable people here, but I also trust my Vet very much. The only thing that happemed with Emilee is she developed matitis in one teat about two weeks after whelping, but with anti-biotics she was back to normal in just a couple of days.
As a breeder I would go ahead and take the advise of my vet but watch my bitch very carefully. I don't give extra calcium alone during pregnancy but I do give a multi-vitamin and give calcium rich treats such as cottage cheese.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!