Thread: Alzheimers
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Sugar's Mom
BANNED!

I lost my dad to Alzhiemers five years after my mom passed from being a brittle diabetic and early alzhiemers also. it is a horrible disease. i tried to care for my dad but he would run off, try to fight me, curse and yell. II had to put him in a nursing home and he was so upset as long as he had any mind at all left. he thought I was mad at him. I just could not care for him. Finally, the day came when he no longer knew who i was. That was so heartbreaking. I will pray for you. My dad was hours away from me too except when i left my home and family to stay with him to try to care for him. it is so hard and so sad. I am sad thinking about it and always try not to. he was driving his car too right up until the day I put him in the nursing home. he had so many side swipes that day and kept driving. Also, he had a roll of money, thousands of dollars in his pocket and someone rolled him. he always wore white shirts and dress pants. everyday. he got to where he didn't clean up. Wouldn't eat or leave stuff on the stove. he tried to answer the phone with the remote when i first started noticing things. When I would go on the weekends to check on him after mommy died and before he got sick, After about a year or so, when he opened the door, he would look so happy and look past me and ask where mommy was. I would say, daddy, you know mommy died. he would say yes I know but where did you put her. Being a nurse, at first I thought he was sundowning as a lot of older people do. I miss my mommy and daddy. They were both diabetics but mommy was brittle and lived thru nine diabetic comass and two strokes before she died. I took care of her for three years and tried to take care of my daddy but I just couldn't do it.
Sugar's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!