View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #51
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashajade
all breeds of dog are mixes, thats how they came about, a yorkie is a mix of other breeds way back.
so there really is no such thing as a pure bred yorkie weather the mum and dad are known as full blood yorkies.
and saying that i guess none of us really know that are yorkies are full blood as all we do is trust the breeder and pedigree but whos to say they told us the truth or that a stray mutt with a glint in his eye didnt take a fancy to the lady yorkie and took her on a date so to say
yorkies i said to be bred from the maltease and thats where the yorkies coat comes from so could be from way back or like others have said shes crossed them herself.
i think its cute though
Absolutely WRONG. Go back to reading how purebreds came about, why they are purebreds now, the registries involved etc. Yes purebreds, in many cases were resulting from certain mixes of what was available at the time but were not bred to try to get as much money as possible for the sale of 'designer breed' puppies. These purebreds were created by fanciers that got together and decided what they wanted in both appearance and how they were going to be used. The Yorkie in simple terms needed to be small as common people were not allowed dogs over a certain size, yet also needed to be ratters.
However various breeds were created which took usually about 50 years to get what they wanted, they are now registered purebred and breed true (look that up if you don't know what breeding true is) becasue when you take a purebred registered Yorkie and breed it to a purebred registered yorkie, you get puppies that look like Yorkies. There can be some variations within any purebred such as size etc but what you have should look like the breed that the parents are.
You take a Yorkie/maltese and breed it to a Yorkie/maltese, you are not going to get puppies that look like either parent and either parent may not at all look like each other. That is not the case in GOOD QUALITY ( Note I am saying GOOD QUALITY) representatives of a purebred breed.
Some purebred breeds have been around for many thousands of years. Find a good book about purebreds, I would bet AKC likely puts one out, that tells you about the different purebreeds, how long they have been around and how we got to where we are today in purebreds.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!