View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
Joeysmom
No Longer a Member

Default Wow! Lots of questions

It's good to be researching like that and get to know other peoples' experiences. Good for you!

Okay... we really like using a fifth wheel. My husband says they are easier to maneuver into the rv slots, plus easier to pull. We have had a huge one with a bunkhouse in the back (four children). But now we have a 3 horse Living quarters gooseneck (like a fifth wheel, different hitch). when we are camping we like to leave the rv at camp and drive around. We lock everything important up... bike chains etc, and lock the trailer. We have left the dogs in their crates outside (not yorkies, just labs) when we go for a walk and they can't go. But I would never do that with Phoebe. Usually, we put even the big dogs in the rv though. I don't want them stolen anymore than I would want my yorkie baby.

When we travel, of course Phoebe is in the truck with us. but we have crates in the rv for our big dogs (labs) which is where they ride. there's just no room in the front of the truck for all the kids and two big dogs.

If we are traveling and go into a restaurant, I have a tiny crate for Phoebe in the front of the truck, but I put it on the floor and drape a cloth over it (without covering the side so there is plenty of air) so no one can see her. But if it's summer or even warm spring, I don't leave her in the car at all. Too many dogs die from overheating.

I think the easiest way to travel with a yorkie is to make arrangements so you are places where they can stay with you. We are planning to go to dog friendly hotels, and no I probably would not leave her in the room, since ther is room service. Plus I don't think they let you leave them in there.

Whew... a mouthful, eh? Hope this helps. It's fun to camp with dogs...

deb
Joeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!