View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Tophersmom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I didn't realize all that went into breeding these little dogs....and doing it right and doing it well...until I did alot of reading under the 'Breeders' section here and online.

There is SO much that can go terribly wrong during a pregnancy AND birth that I would never even consider breeding my little one. The risk to the moms is so great that one really has to be committed to educating ones-self and perhaps learning hands on from a mentor. Plus, there is a risk that a C-section may be required so there is a cost factor to consider as well.

Also, from what I've read, it's more beneficial healthwise to the animal to have it spayed or neutered. They have less chance of contracting certain cancers, etc. Surgical risks this day and age are low, so the spay/neuter surgery really isn't as frightening a deal as it once was.

Daisysis...I hope that things work out for you and your little one.

iheartzoe...if breeding is something you really want to do, why not try to find a mentor to learn from. It would seem that hands on education would be so helpful. There are some wonderful breeders on this site who would be glad, I think, to help out someone wantng to learn.

best of luck with your decision.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!