View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

Omg I was a little shocked today

Long story short:

I went to meet some people today that homeschool their children (well, did - all four kids are in college) - I went to get some school books (free) and to talk about school/college/etc. I pulled up to their place and seen these nice kennels in the back. Okay, we go in and talk school for about an hour and then talked dogs for about an hour.

They have about five breeds of small dogs. They had four females in the house (2 that had puppies and 2 that were getting ready to). When I first walked in, I didn't even know they had dogs in their house - especially that many and the babies. (meaning, it didn't smell, not loud, not messy, etc - like some I have seen). Anyway, we had a nice chat about how they started breeding and why/how they picked the breeds they had, etc.

They showed me their kennels - wow! Those were so nice, high tech and comfy! I always pictured a kennel as cold cages and concrete and unhealthy/sad dogs. They really did not have many dogs, at all, and all of them looked well groomed and cared for.

She talked about how they love each one, but know they have to sell them to get by, etc. Talked about the care for them, what all they do for them, etc.

Then, puppymills came up in our conversation - I didn't bring it up, but I can't remember what was said about it. Anyway, I told them that there seems to be soooo many of them and it is sad. Well, the guy said that if you can sell 1000's and 1000's of dogs, and have the people to take care of all of those dogs and keep them healthy and cared for, he didn't see a problem in that. he said that most puppymills are created when people get a few dogs, can't seem to part w/ the puppies and it just keeps going and going and the dogs are getting sold when they are not at their best. I see that too, but I think if you are selling 1000's and 1000's of different dog breeds, there is something there - I don't know?! Anyway, I didn't say anything more about puppymills.

The lady then talked about how often they are inspected and what that consists of and their work w/ AKC, etc. I knew their dogs were getting a good home and getting well taken care of.............UNTIL................

I asked if they had a website or how they advertised, so maybe I could spread the word. Well, he said that they do not normally sale locally, but would if someone wanted...........I guess I had a confused look on my face because he then said that they sell wholesale (or something like that) and then their puppies go to stores, etc.

Wow! I about fell over! I was so upset and sickened. Luckily, we had to go (had a lot to do that day and alotted about two years w/ these people)....I have just thougth about all those puppies all day!

They are nice enough people, but after our conversation, I just don't know about them. I'm I being crazy or what???

I just wanted to share because in our area, I have never seen a pet store (besides the cats at the PetsMart from the animal shelter) and I have never met or known anyone who sold their furbabies to pet stores!

Last edited by Jenn218; 01-03-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!