View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
twistr
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Wow, I thought I would get an email telling me I had replies, I just checked back for replies and I'm overwhelmed with all the wonderful replies.

Bradyem, Sounds like we have the same dog :LOL: I haven't thought about not chasing because he thinks it's a game. I have always known that, but if I don't go after him, I fear I will loose him and he won't find his way back because buddy, he's a trucking it 100 MPH! This week we have started with his food. I make him sit and stay before I put his food down to feed him. I do not let him up from his stay to eat until I tell him "free dog". This was not successfull at first but seems to be taking effect now. I also have been opening the back door to the garage and making him sit/stay as I continue to open the door wider and move away from the door, I continue to have to encourage him to sit/stay. At first, it was dart dart dart out the door, but now, he will sit and stay, but boy, the urge is killing him and he lets you know about it to by back talking me.

But that's all well and good but the biggest problem is the front door. He goes absolutley NUTS if I even go near it. It takes him at least 5 minutes to calm down if he sees me go near the front door, barking, and circling wanting to go out. He won't sit/stay for the front door at all, he just circles, barks and back talks me, and the more I say sit or stay, the louder he gets with me.

And as with you, he will sit/stay at the back door for me, but he won't listen to my kids at all. And they are teenagers, so they don't really have much interest in what I'm trying to teach him.

Breezeway, I like the idea about the leash, I'm going to try that. My dad and I used to have birddogs but my dad always trained them. He used to pull their ears to train them ! I don't think I'll be doing any of that :LOL:! I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging responses!
twistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!