View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
bradyem
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default Is this my dog??

Twistr---Wow, my husband and I were reading it and it's like someone has posted a story about our dog. I thought I was the only one running after my dog with a piece of sandwich meat hoping he will see it from far away! I don't chase him per say now--it's more of "how do I trick him to come to me". Therefore, sometimes I call him and start running the other direction (he thinks I'm going to pick up the kids at the bus and will run with me so I can catch him). Other times, I will open the car door and he thinks he is going for a ride--that, of course, entails letting him sit int he car for awhile so that I don't feel that horrible for tricking him (and hoping it will work again). What I have learned is that I have trained Rockie to stop at the door to the garage with the command "back". If I am opening the door and the kids have to go out I will tell him "back" (like you have trained all of your other wonderful tricks that I can't get mine to do) and he has to wait for the kids to leave but won't go out. However, if the kids open that door he is like a missile and that's where the trickery comes in. I too have had the neighbor try to help and do not send my kids because he really thinks it's a game and it's much harder. I'm with you--I am very fearful of the street with him so little and the cars going sooo fast! I do have a fenced in backyard with plenty of room, however, in my postings when Rockie was a puppy, the consensus from most was that this is a quirk of the yorkie--they love to do this! Good luck--I know exactly how you feel!!!
bradyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!