View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
SONYSW
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcerella02
we've ALL been there! crate training is mainly for nighttime... you want to buy a crate that she can grow into but i blocked the back off with towels so that layla had enough room to stand up and turn around.. any more room and she will pee and poop in there... as for day training... i haven't done paper.. layla goes outside... after she eats or drinks we go outside for about 10 min... if nothing happens she goes back in her crate for about 10 min and we try again outside until she goes.. then she is allowed free run of the house! and OH THE PRAISE when she goes.. it is a party! treats and love and kisses... now she is able to tell me when she has to go outside.. maybe somene else can help with paper training.. but the crate is great for overnight... layla LOVES her crate!! can't wait to go in at bedtime! good luck!
I completely agree with marcerrlla02. I am no expert but did the same with Chelsea and crate training. I do not use playpen as much but treat chelsea religiously during the first 4 weeks when we got her. The idea is to prevent as many mistake with crate and to let her/him now the toilet. I use the crate at night too. Basicly the idea is to feed her let her potty or pee. If she does not potty than put her in the crate for 5-10 minutes and try again she she does than you praise her and play with her in the house and basically give her a lot of joy time.I put her back in the crate for 1 hour and repeat the same method, potty/pee outside and praise her. If she does not pee or potty put her back in the crate for 5-10 minutes and repeat again. She gets is after 3 weeks that she need to potty outside. It also prevents mistake inside the house and avoid a bad habits. She loves the crate too and sleep in there. Good luck.
SONYSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!