View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
RowdysMom
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn218
Okay, I had several travel questions - I have read through most of the older post, but had some questions nontheless.........

#1. When you travel w/ your pets and you stop somewhere that they can not go into (grocery store, food place, etc) - what do you do?
**Does one of you stay in the car
**Do you leave your pets in the car - if so how (like what precautions do you use/what do you do)
**Sneak them in inside a carrier/bag - if so what bag do you use and like

#2. In the hotel/motel/room - do you ever leave your pet unattended?
**Do you put them in a crate or in the bathroom?
**Leave a Do Not Distrub sign on the door and let the desk know?
**Any advice for leaving them alone in a room?
**You never leave them alone

For the RV people out there..............
#3. Do you leave your pets in the RV while you go somewhere?
**Are they left in the RV at an RV park/camp? Or do you drive it around instead of a car (so like in the parking lot of the place you are stopping at).
**Do you feel safe w/ them alone in the RV while you drive your other car somewhere else? Or do they pretty much go where ever you go?
**If they are left, what precautions do you use or do to make you worry a little less?

#4. Have you ever had any problems (no matter what issues) with leaving your RV hooked up and a camp/park while you drove your car around? OR do most of you drive your RV around w/o pulling another car?
**What is your over all impression of RV parks? Do you feel safe there, do you go anywhere else instead of RV parks?

This one is not pet related, but just curious while I am on this topic.
#5. What is the preferred RV/motorhome - pull behind, fifth wheel - if fifth wheel/pull behind, what do you drive, Class C (driving one) - if Class C, do you pull a car behind you?

Okay, I am asking because we are starting to travel more and we normally leave Mojo w/ my parents or my inlaws. We always sold our motorhome this past summer, but are wanting to get another one and we are just curious how everyone does - just getting some ideas!

If you want, you can PM or post.........looking for tips/tricks/ideas/thoughts/etc to help me decide what is the best thing to do/ways of doing things.

We travel extensively in the summer (when it is usually hot) so when we stop to eat, we often eat (picnic) from the 5th wheel. It is easy to do since you have a refridgerator in the RV.

When we go into a restaurant (which we do because we get tired of eating sandwiches), if it is hot, we leave the (diesel) pickup running with the doors locked, but we only sit where we can see it at all times. If it is cool, then we just leave the boys in the pickup, but again, we always sit where we can see them. If we go to the grocery store, then one of us will usually stay in the truck with them. Sometimes it is too hot in the pickup, but OK in the fifth wheel and so we will put them in the fifth wheel while we eat. In that case, we do not have to sit where we can see the truck since they are securely locked in the fifth wheel.

I really hate leaving them in the hotel room - and we don't stay in them very often, but sometimes we have to. I leave them out in the room (they are not crate trained) and they do just fine - they are not barkers. I always leave a Do Not Disturb sign on the door - but I ALWAYS worry about them - that someone will come in and take them.

When we camp in the RV, we do leave them in the fifth wheel - but they go almost everywhere with us. I lock the fifth wheel and so I don't worry about them while we are gone. If your dogs are barkers, many RV parks will not let you leave them in your RV because if they bark the entire time you are gone (and believe me, many do) then it will disturb the other campers.

We always park the fifth wheel and drive around in our pickup. I have never felt uncomfortable leaving the fifth wheel - I think almost all RV parks are safe - I've always felt perfectly safe in any of them and we've stayed a A LOT!! If you have a fifth wheel, you can get a tripod with a lock on it that attaches to the fifth wheel hitch, so that someone can't come hook up to your trailer and drive off with it.

I prefer a fifth wheel, because you always have a vehicle to drive. Also, with a fifth wheel, you don't have to maintain 2 engines (the RV engine and the pull behind car engine). We drive a 30 foot fifth wheel and a 1-ton diesel Ford pickup. We love it! We've had our fifth wheel since 1999.

A big caution that I would offer is to watch your baby closely when you stop to let them potty. There is so much trash on the ground at gas stations or travel stops. My Rowdy will not eat anything, but Rexy will eat EVERYTHING so I really have to watch him that he doesn't eat any trash.

Also, when you are in the RV park, as you know, you have to have your pets on a leash. My boys get tired of the leash all the time (we have a big back yard where they run free everyday) so we take 2 X-pens along to put together so that they can get in them and run off-leash.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by RowdysMom; 01-01-2007 at 03:12 PM.
RowdysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!