View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Tuck'smom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Teeth

You can get them accustomed to each other, but I'm not sure I would commit to the big dog being there the entire six days initially. My boyfriend has a Newfoundland/Chow mix who weighs 98lbs. He looks like a pure Newfie though. The very first day I got Tucker, I stopped by and let Samson (boyfriend's dog) sniff Tuck while I held him on my lap and my boyfriend held Samson's collar repeatedly saying, "Be nice, Samson". The next time, I still kept Tuck on the couch by my side but letting them touch noses occasionally. We were also very intent on praising Samson and giving him lots of attention when my baby was there to avoid a jealousy issue. I eventually got to putting Tuck on the floor a bit at a time but stayed right next to him. I got Tuck at 10wks old - he is now right at 6 months. I do go to my boyfriend's and stay the night or weekend with Tucker occasionally and they are now ok to be on the floor or in the fenced yard together with moderate supervision. Samson has been a patient angel. Tucker constantly runs over and grabs treats and chewies right out of his mouth and he doesn't say a word. There is an occasional grumble when Tuck is too hyper in Samson's face but no bad scenes so far. Samson has accidentally tripped over Tuck a time or two causing him to yelp so we watch for that as well.
I would NEVER leave the two alone together. You just never know...
I'm just saying it's a great idea to get them acquainted but you might want to start in small doses at first - it is a process. Make sure your boyfriend will be able and willing to quickly take his dog back home if you get any nervous vibes... So much better safe than sorry. Good Luck!!!!
Dana
Tuck'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!