Thread: Hernia Q
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

There are several types of hernias - the two most common are Umbilical hernias and Inguinal hernias. The inguinal hernias are genetic and in no way should be used for breeding. Sounds like this is the one Lilo's sister had and why the breeder did what is necessary and respectable for her breeding prcactices. I would then not breed Lilo since he could also pass this on. And I would not breed any dogs if they had this problem, nor the ones that passed this on. I had a chance to buy a pup several years ago and upon the vet checking before she left - they noticed a small hernia of this type and I stop all proceedings to buy this yorkie and the breeder agreed (pup was 6 months). She kept the dog and later the hernia healed up on its own and she breed her. I would not have done this, but JMO.

Umbilical hernias is from where the cord had been pulled a bit to tight and caused damage to the lining of the way - this is not genetic.

All hernias should be repaired! Most do wait to correct hernia when spaying. Better for the dog to go under once than twice to be operated on.
T.

Last edited by topknot; 12-31-2006 at 07:15 AM.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!