Thread: do you work
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #25
bren
Slave to Max 'n Abbie
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irreverentglow
Way off topic, just curious as to if you like that profession? I am going to school right now, for sign language interpretation, and thinking of heading into that field.. curious to know how you like it?
I'm an SLP for a school district in an urban area and I work with children from Pre-K through high school. I prefer working with children vs. adults in this field and I LOVE working with the kids and helping them however, a HUGE part of my job has become and OVERWHELMING amount of paperwork. All the paperwork I'm required to do seems to take away from the kids and I'm really not comfortable with that because they are a NEEDY bunch of kids. I don't want to discourage you because I LOVE WHAT I DO--IT IS VERY REWARDING--BUT If you do decide to get into this field, I would recommend working in a different TYPE of setting. Perhaps a hospital setting, or a PRIVATE school. Working for a city school district that is financially and educationally distressed has additional issues completely unrelated to your job but will affect HOW you are able to do your job and most likely increase your stress level tenfold. This is my 7th year and I'm feeling the effects of burnout. The only reprieve is that I get 8 weeks off during the summer and time off around holidays but sometimes it's not enough.

sorry for the LONG reply . If you have any questions, you can pm me
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!