View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
twistr
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Unhappy Running away!?!?

Everytime a door opens in my house, my yorkie wants to run outside. I let him go out and exercise often, but it just doesn't seem like enough for him. If he goes out the garage door and the main garage door is open, he will run and there's no catching him. It take me, my two kids, and many times neighbors to corner and catch him. I've ran after him as far as a mile. He gets in the road and one day I know will get run over. I have trained him as a young pup to do many tricks like sit, lay, roll over, shake hands, stand, speak, and he still does all these tricks for treats. He is house trained to go on the pad. Sometimes he doesn't use the pad at all. I think that's an indication that he's mad at me for maybe leaving him home alone while I'm at work. He's usually home alone from 8 am until 3pm when the kids come home from school. He's generally loyal to me and follows me around the house and at bedtime, usually will come to my room and sleep in my room. He used to sleep on my bed but I move about alot in my sleep so he's learnt best to sleep in his bed on the floor in my room at night. Many nights he will sit in my lap and we fall alseep together. He's a very loving dog and I can't imagine why he wants to run away from me. He will NOT stop when his name is called, by any of us. And here lately, he has gotten to where he won't come to me when I call him, when he used to come running all the time. I'm worried that he doesn't see me as the pack leader anymore and doesn't respect me. When he gets something he shouldn't have, I can usually say no, or leave it and he will leave it alone, but if it's something he really wants, he runs away with it behind the couch or somewhere like that I can't get to him.

Sorry to ramble on like this. My most serious issue is him running away. Anyone have this problem and how do you fix it? Ultimately, I have to get him to where he will stop and come to me on command. This should solve that issue but it's like something he's grown into. He was born March of 2006, I've had him since 12 weeks old.

Any suggestions anyone?

Here's a picture of my Spencer taking an afternoon nap in his favorite nap spot (the clean socks) :LOL:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spencer napping.jpg (27.9 KB, 59 views)
twistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!