View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #51
lwolfe
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyhawk
You don't sound jaded just experienced and there are friendly, helpful people out there as well. I will toughen up though, I had to with the vets for breeding, I will in the show ring. I've had some lovely people help me out and I want to help others as I grow in this area. My groomer told me a story of someone pouring neat on a maltese while it was in an xpen, now that's cut throat!

There was no Best in Show competition in 1923 at the Westminster Kennel Club. There was stiff competition between 2 Collies. One owned by a woman and the other owned by a man. The man sneaked into the building after the lights were turned off and shaved all the other dogs hair off. It may have been competition or maybe the wrath of a scorned lover. The man had proposed to the woman 7 times and was turned down 7 times. With all the commotion, the kennel club cancelled Best in Show that year. I read this story in the book The Dog Show, 125 years of Westminster.

I read another book about Westminster and it told about dog (I can't remember the breed but I think it was a Sheltie or Collie) that won Best in Show and, as the dog and owner were leaving the Garden that night, had acid thrown in it's face. No one knows if the dog lived or died but it was never seen again.

These are both great books. The Dog Show was published in 2006 and should be easy to find. I loaned someone the other book and I can't remember the name or author but if anyone is interested I can find out. I tells about each group winner's year long quest to get to Westminster and their experience at the Garden. I remember that it was the year that Dennis McCoy won the Non-Sporting Group with Lake Cove That's My Boy.
lwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!