View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
klogan
YT 500 Club Member

Try one method only for at least 2 weeks. He could be confussed if you are chaning things around too much.

THis is what worked for us and note you have to be patient. We got Stomper at 2 months old and he has just recently been fully potted trained at 6 months old. He made mistakes along the way.

Suggestions:

1) Confine him to a certain area.
2) Put down pads (you can purchase a plastic insert to put them in if he is biting it)
3) Put that spray to attract him to it.
4) Take him to the pad often...I'm talking every 15-20 minutes that you are home (I know...this is hard because you want to do your own thing). If you see him sniffing bring him to the pad right away
5) Always say the same thing...do your business or go potty
6) When he goes in the right spot, reward him with a treat and get real excited
7) If he makes a mistake and you see him doing it, tell him NO in a firm voice and carry him to the right spot and say "do your business"

It seems like forever, but most dogs tend to get it over time. FYI...if you plan to have your dog go potty outside, you should put the pad right by the back door so once he does learn to go on the pad, you'll know when to open the back door to get him used to going outside to do his business!

Be consistent. I made the mistake a few times thinking he was potty trained and he started making mistakes again. I still, even though I believe Stomper is potty trained, give him treats when I see him go potty outside. I have to say...the doggy door has been the biggest help in this process. We purchased it about a month ago and he loves it!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!