Thread: Family Feuds.
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
Mr.MonsterMom
Yorkie Yakker

I think what is most difficult for me, is that we adopted Monster together, and when Adam says "Becca, you need to stop thinking about your dog so much" I want to smack him and say "He is OUR dog!"...and then when it comes to him calling me irrational - it's not so much that I feel he won't fight for our dog, but he won't even demand an explanation for my own personal peice of mind. There is no old aunt, no allergies, just a giant house upstate.

It's funny how his family is saying this right after we announced our engagment, when they have never been very big fans of me. I understand that I cannot allow my dog to to become a little dictator over my life and that my relationship with my future husband is more important than how I treat my dog, but I'm now paranoid that this will continue to happen and I don't want anyone else to be able to use Monster as a tool to cause conflict between us.

Then there are people telling me that I'm over thinking this entire situation. It's the holidays and I feel like it's the first Christmas of the rest of our lives - how can I put up with this year after year? Everything was so exciting for us and I'm just angry that anything could ruin it.

I explained the situation to his mother like this: We're going to be gone for three days, finding a kennel is absolutely out of the question and I cannot impose Monster on my parents for that long when they also have their own plans and he is such a high maitenance dog. I asked incredibly nicely for her to reconsider for the sake of everyone being able to be together. She said she would call back.

I also admire my fiance so much because when he saw how much this really upset me and how hard I tried to come to a conclusion to make everyone happy, he said that if his mother continued to say no to Monster, then the three of us would stay home. I know he's completely genuine and wouldn't offer if he felt obligation over want, but I would still feel guilty for taking him away from his family - when now, they're supposed to be becoming my family.

Haha, I'm sorry, I know this isn't exactly a "Yorkie" problem, but I have nowhere else to vent, and other pet owners are really the only ones who can understand. Thanks so much for all of your input.
Mr.MonsterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!