View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
prettypuppypink
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missPenny
Well, what I thought was a red bump from a kitty scratch at Thanksgiving has turned out to be not that whatsoever. I've been keeping a close eye on her sore, located right next to her nose, keeping it clean, etc. However, in the last few weeks it has only grown and looked nastier by the day.

Took her in today. The vet says it's definitely not from the cat. Several options to figure out what it is: skin scrape, needle aspirate, biopsy, and fungal culture if necessary.

Penny wouldn't let them get the skin scrape, but the doctor was able to get the needle aspirate. After reviewing it, she's very suspicious that is is a histiocytoma, a benign growth that younger dogs get. IF the biopsy determines that's what it is, then here's the course of action: 50/50 chance it goes away on its own. If not, it can be surgically removed. We could have it removed now (if this is the diagnosis), but I already don't like that unless it's bothering her because even if it's only 50/50 chance of healing on its own, I don't want her under anesthesia if we can prevent it.

Penny started an antibiotic today just to make sure it's not a bacterial infection. The vet said it wouldn't hurt. She also said that she's not too concerned about a cancer scare since Penny is so young.

However, I'm nervous. The biopsy procedure scares me. Just has a bad connotation.

So, prayers for Penny, please, that everything comes back positive and that we can easily treat her.

I hope it will disappear. My new Yorkie arrived in Sept, 7 months old, he had two tumours under his chin removed when neutered. They were biopsied and benign. He had a few stitches afterwards. I was told they might return because if the margins were removed it would change the facial expression but the vet thought they were not malignant and they weren't. I figured it was better to take a chance that they wouldn't grow back and deal with a pulled down mouth if it has to be done again, later on. I dislike his breeder, a liar, intensely. She didn't care about him, Ajendas in FL.
I have Penny and you in my thoughts and prayers.
Jessica
prettypuppypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!