View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
CJCinTX
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiedreams
Hi, I don't doubt for a start that Muffin and yourself are going through the mill! Muffin is just over 9 isn't she?

However, what I questioned was the AGE at which to spay??

Young dogs of 18-24 months DO NOT generally get mammory cancer do they? Even if they aren't spayed until they are 2 or 3. So they can be safely spayed then, having been allowed to mature and yet prevent ALL the problems of an older dog going through the pyometras and cancer.

I am truly truly sorry for your poor dog, and I'm sure of you read my post again you will find I am NOT against spaying pers se...just against Vets doing it too early!

I have just had my 3 year old Newfie spayed as I cannot breed from her as she has a mild aortic stenosis. So she has had time to mature, let her coat develop and grow out of her puppy ways!

All the best, Dawn
You are absolutely right Dawn...no one really knows at what point they get the mammary cancer. Muffin is indeed nine & she never had any signs of cancer until a few months ago. I certainly am no authority about when to have a girl furbaby spayed. I just wish I'd been like you & asked more questions when Muffin was little. I was an idiot & didn't want her to suffer.
C.J.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!