View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #11
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I think I Love Bailey had a good suggestion for the meantime until you can get to the vet (IF the problem persists). It is very possible that a stray hair has gotten into her eye and as a result it is watering more. Definitely open it up and see if you can see anything in there (you can usually see hairs under the light).

Ruthie had a lacerated cornea once (about a week after I got her) and the first I noticed it, it was REALLY red and a little swollen and closed more than the other eye. You could tell it was really irritating her. I took her to the emergency vet (it was a sunday - the following day was a holiday - no way was I going to wait two days to see a vet). I took her in and the emerg vet diagnosed it as PINK EYE. They prescribed some drops and off we went. Next day, her eye is CLOUDED OVER and not any better at all! I continued with the drops, thinking it was the drops causing the cloudiness... as soon as I could, I took her to my regular vet. First thing they did was stain her eye and of course, it wasn't pink eye, she had a scratch in her eye - which was getting deeper. Apparently if you leave it, the scratch works its way down deeper into the tissue... can cause a great deal of damage.

Anyways, just be sure to have her eye stained if you do take her in - I should have spoken up at the emerg, but I ASSUMED they knew what they were doing. Never assume. Ruthie could have ended up with a permanent blind spot in her eye because of this - BUT, my regular vet was fantastic and her eye healed up beautifully.

Hope Trixie's eye is feeling better - just keep an eye on it - watch for redness, swelling, discharge, and watch for her trying to scratch at it as if it's itchy... all signs that you should get her in to the vet.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!