View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
az jude
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmit02
They are so funny arnt they! My yorkie licks my legs when I get out the shower and will lick his soft toys.

My dog trainer said a dog who licks his owner a lot is asserting dominance in the pack as the alpha male lets himself be groomed when he wanted but grooms the rest of the pack when he chooses too and they have to put up with it. My male yorkie is very dominant so I had to watch this. I do let him lick me but at my conveinince not his if I stop him and he ignores me and pushes to continue I put him on the floor so he knows im boss. The same with me brushing him, he tried to squirm and move when I got him but I had to teach him I was alpha male and hold him till I was done.

Now he sits no problem. I was amazed how tackling the dominant in the pack behaviour sorted most his issues like, excessive barking, chasing people, not letting himself be groomed, ignoring me when I was trying to train him. He is much happier not being the alpha male shivers less and is more sociable now he knows his place. My trainer even had me bare my teeth at him when playing tug with a sock his favorite game so he dropped it and I "won" the game now and them again to assert my dominance. Makes my husband laugh!!!

Ruthx
Information in your posting was so helpful in explaining the licking issue as well as the dominance issue. Thank you so much for sharing this!
az jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!