View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Sugar's Mom
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breny
I'm looking for some advice

My house isn't overly warm. It seems some rooms are warmer than others and I think my puppy room is going to be too cool for the new pups, so I decided to keep them in the hall bathroom with the door closed for the 1st couple of weeks. I put a thermometer in there and its staying at 71 with my heat set to 70. Will this be warm enough, with mom in there too?

If not I thought of using a heating pad as well.

For a whelping box I am using this cool cat litter box (un-used) Its the perfect size and has high sides and even on the label said it was an excellant whelping box as well. So I bought it just for Meiah.

How safe are heating pads? I just bought one for my last litter and never used it as it was summer time and there wasn't a need. I am at work all day and come home at lunch so I am gone for 5 hours at a time. I'm looking for suggestions. Is it safe to use the heating pad while I'm gone?

Do I place the heating pad UNDER the whelping box, or IN the whelping box?

I've never used one so I just want to make sure they are safe unattended.

Anyone? Thanks !!!
I placed my heating pad UNDER the whelping box and only under part of it so mom would have somewhere to get away from the heat. problem was, when she left the heated area, the babies did too. i had a hard time keeping mine warm. I finally on the second day used a heat lamp but that really was too hot for mom. Finally, i just turned the darn thing off and only used it for a few minutes if they felt cool to my touch. i think about the first four days was all I used it.
Sugar's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!