View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I don’t agree with “if you don't start now, she will never learn.” You can teach an old dog new tricks! I’ve had Joey for about 1-½ months and the first couple of weeks I pretty much held him all the time. They are still a baby at 14 weeks. They have been taken from their mother and littermates and it’s your job to make them feel safe and secure. Now at close to 19 weeks, he only needs occasional holding in the day, but still likes to be held in the evening and I love this too. I can see him becoming more independent and able to entertain himself on his own.

My breeder told me to have food available at all times, I keep some in several rooms because he will only eat if I am close by. Also, I suggest playing with her, not just holding her. Joey’s favorite game is chase the dust mop, he absolutely loves running for it and grabbing it, and he gets very tired after playing this and will lay down on his own to sleep.

As for training, I think they think of carpet as one giant pee pad. Joey’s great on wood floor and tile floor, but on carpet he’s terrible.

Everybody told me I’d spoil my human kids by holding them so much. They turned out wonderful and I’m glad I ignored everyone.

Nancy
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!