Thread: Looking to mate
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:31 AM   #25
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

You could try a search using the nickname "teapot." That is an affectionate term used for the larger sized Yorkies. All the Yorkie experts say not to breed out of standard yorkies -- that would be any over 7 pounds. But.....if you are determined....who am I to think it is wrong, I am no expert for sure. Just find a female that is plenty big, maybe a couple pounds heavier than your big boy. Then, I would still have a vet weigh in on the mating. See if he thinks it is safe. Then be sure you are very willing to take all the offspring -- obviously large yorkies are not that much in demand. Yorkie stud fees do not usually include pick of the litter (they run less than the cost of one puppy, unless you have a prime sire) so you may have to negotiate a package deal with the potential mother's owner. You might find a like-minded owner who would love to have an offspring of her own dog, that would make matters easier for both. Just be very careful -- as someone who has unxpectedly lost their Yorkie (not breeding -- but at a groomers) I can tell you it is a pain deeper than you would ever expect! Best of luck to you!
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!