View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWa
A 1 1/4 pound champion from the early 1900s really does surprise me. Even with today's smaller Yorkies -- these are too small to be shown today.
... I think - just out of curiosity - I will write the AKC and see why they have never allowed for the variation in the Yorkies' size. Carol Jean
The little 1 3/4 pound Champion I mentioned was named Yankee Kitty owned by a Mrs. Beck in California.

You might want to read The Complete Yorkshire Terrier -- it gives some very interesting history on the breed. I am finding it well worth the time and $$. There is a thorough explanation about the size standard. She says she "is continually amazed to read that it took many years and much crossing" to bring the Yorki down to toy size, and does not agree. She says in the 1860's they were shown in TOY TERRIERS - under five pounds; by 1878 they had one top winner at 10 pounds and another at 4 3/4 pounds. In 1891 they went to the under 5 and over 5 pound standards but still not to exceed 12 pounds. In 1904 the weight had three classes, under 5, 5-7 and over 7 pounds.

To get the current 7 pounds and under standard, back in 1966, all the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America members weighed their dogs and determined no one was breeding dogs over 7 pounds and it allowed the larger ones who made the best brrod bitches to be shown. They wanted to keep the breed a Toy dog.

Let us know what the AKC says. They did answer when I submitted a question on their website -- only took 2 days. I have seen some beautiful Yorkies over the standard. Maybe someday they will go back to the under 5 and over 5 standard -- be something like poodles who have standard and toy sizes. I like the toys myself but see room for all preferences.

I see many questions about standard -- why not allow all colors, all sizes, ears up or down, coats silky or cottony, but..... if they make too many exceptions then there really wouldn't be a standard anymore and breeds would eventually melt together. So, I do understand why there should be some standards that are not negotiable. Important to have an organization of seasoned breeders to oversee the standards and in a group voice, speak for the breed.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!