View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #9
prettypuppypink
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I trained my Japanese Chin and Mi-Ki to potty outside on wee pads, working with my new Yorkie now with housebreaking. I have a small deck fenced in off my kitchen (sliding door). There's a slight overhang at the sliding door. I anchor a wee pad with four bricks. If the weather is horrendous, I do the same in my garage. Ladylavendar's posts was excellant and FirstYorkie also about positive reinforcement. I use rewards and praise for obedience training. When I want my new Yorkie to go potty on command, I put him on the paper and in a calm /soft voice sing "go potty, go potty.etc." If he doesn't go potty (start first thing upon he's waking), I pick him up and we wait, back on paper singing my potty song. I will stay there until he does something, praise and reward. It takes awhile but that praise and reward does the trick. I get him to sit/stay while he's running away from me with just the command, knows a reward and praise. This Yorkie was abused or caged and is smart. I do obedience on my own but for his behavoir issues use a trainer who will work with us as needed. I never had a dog before that had the issues that this one has. I am just reading the clicker training book since so many members have pm'd me about it. I might try clicker training on my husband since it says that positive reinforcement works with people.
The clicker is my new necklace, wear it on a ribbon around my neck.
Jessica
prettypuppypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!