View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
Mr.MonsterMom
Yorkie Yakker

Default New Yorkie Problems?

Hi, I'm new to this site and to owning a Yorkie. I will not deny that I totally got conned! This woman was advertising 'Teacup' Yorkies and being a young student, I didn't know any better. Lucky for me, before I went to the breeder I did my research and immediately called to be told that the puppies would probably grow to be 5 pounds. Well...

I went there to pick out my puppy and discovered the most horrible thing I had ever seen in my life. Sweet puppies who were being sold at "breeder" prices that were obviously puppy mill Yorkie-types. At three months they had already been shipped across the country and this woman was trying to pass them off as well bred Yorkies. My mother, who bought me the puppy as a graduation present, kind of stared and said "I think we're being ripped off." This fact really didn't matter to me as it became apparent that this woman just left these pups alone in a giant room filled with paper, gave them food and water and never socialized them. I fell in love with my Mr. Monster and had to rescue him from Ms. Cruela Deville. He is the sweetest little love in the world and I would never want anything else in a 4 month old puppy (and at 2.5 pounds now, I imagine he will grow to be a healthy weight).

My questions are this: because of his treatment as a puppy he has terrible separation anxiety whenever I leave the house, he spent most of his youth with his litter and so he's comfortable around other dogs but aside from me and my boyfriend he cannot be left alone with or without other humans (we tried to go out to dinner and left him at my mom's and he worked himself into an anxiety attack) is there something I can do to make learning to function without us easier, or does it have to be a situation of tough love? I would never leave him for long, but a matter of a few hours really upsets him.

My second question is: Do any of you know of any legal recourse I can take against this woman? Even if the way she treated them cannot be classified as abuse, is there any kind of misrepresentation laws? She said that they could be UKC registered, and then when I looked it up, he couldn't even be registered with them, if that makes any difference.

Thanks! I must say that I am very proud to become part of the Yorkie-owning community!
Mr.MonsterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!