View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
jwash
YT 500 Club Member

Default Stray Yorkie

I only have a couple of suggestions. One, don't show her the "top" part of your hand when trying to pet her. Do it palm up, like you are going to pat her chin. The overhand motion often reminds them of being hit (downward motion) but an upward motion will not. Second, get face to face and whisper instructions, then reward with a treat, even if she behaves only for a minute. Handle her often, supervise or place in a kennel with a blanket and a toy, food and water. This will take a bit of time so try not to put her in a situation where she'll disappoint and you will have to scold. Good Luck. I'll close with a quick story (true). A couple with a very small dog, about 2 lbs was traveling through my city to Orlando when they had a wreck, which destroyed their vehicle and travel trailer. In the excitement, their dog ran away and could not be found. Somehow that little dog survived for 3 months, on the street. The broken hearted coupled went on to Orlando for a month, then back home to Ohio. One day near the accident scene, the dog was hit by a car and her hip was broken. A bystander picked her up, took her to her vet for care and noticed a scrap of a collar with a phone number. They called the number and the couple was so thrilled their little dog was found. The owner flew down and recovered their precious pet. Not only did the dog fly home first class but had a welcome home party. I guess it is possible this little girl has been lost for some time and the effects are showing.
jwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!