View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #66
magnolia
YT 1000 Club Member

I've been "MIA" for a while and just notice this thread - will add my comments to the already great ones given.

With my first child, I remember telling my doctor I wanted no drugs or epidural and he talked me out of it - said with the first baby, it would be pretty painful (yea, like HE knows!). Anyway, I had the epidural with my first. Felt the needle stick (if the anesthesiologist is experienced in this, you won't feel nothing more than a regular shot type prick) but it wasn't bad. It worked on me (some people, it doesn't or only works on one side) and I felt no pain at all. The only thing I didn't like about the epidural is the inability to get up for a few hours after delivery - they have to make sure the medication has worn off and the feeling has returned to your legs AND when you get up the first time, the nurse wants to be with you. I did not like the fact I couldn't get up for a few hours so said if I ever had another, I would go natural no matter what! Three years later, when youngest came along, I opted not to have epidural or any pain meds - I wanted to make sure after I delivered, I could get up and go to the bathroom on my on accord! Labor pains were not bad (to me) at all - felt like menstrual cramps until I reached the lucky number 10. Hard labor "hit" around 12:15pm and he was born at 12:51pm - 36 minutes later.

I think it all boils down to a personal preference and the individual's tolerance for pain. Taking the Lamaze classes is the best advice I can give, whether you opt for an epidural or not. Then you are prepared when you have your baby and know what to expect and can make the choice that's best for you.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!