View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
rsmit02
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Finally discovered the key to training ME!

Today was a great day for me and my pup. My dog is terribly stubborn and dominant he knows the comands but just will not do them.

Well it turns out its all my fault not my pups, im a softy and inconsistent try training for so long then give up. Decided a week ago that was it, from now on not doing as he was asked resulted in no treats no play. We are moving to usa soon to live with my sister who is not used to having a dog so I want Jake to be as well behaved as possible.

So everyday I have made it clear to Jake there is treats and games and play galore BUT at my rules and my comand. So out on the lead took treats with me did the "Stay" at kerb sides and made the biggest fuss and treat when he did it.

At home ive been getting down on the floor and I got his ball his favorite thing I mean he lives for his ball. Each 2 min of play was only granted for obeying a command. So we have been doing sit, down and stay. He got it really quick, the key was to start, as soon as he even begun the behaviour i wanted he got reward, then I got tougher behavior had to be right to get treat or play, then behaviour had to be right and immediate when I asked. Each time he got it right I layed on the praise, treats and play.

WOW my boy is smart samrt smart. He learnt so quick when I was clear and consistent. It is so easy to be soft and treat him after he has tried ages even if he didnt get it but all that was doing was rewarding getting it wrong.

After days of success tonight for a laugh I tried to do roll over just for something different as he does the others so perfect, when he was in the down I did a circle over with my hand and rolled him over. Then next time did circle and kind of put treat over his head and rolled him over so he was on his back and treat now facing him and he got treat. After 4 times doing this he got it. Does the cutest instant roll over when I say over and do the circle with my hands cant believe it he wouldnt do down 4 days ago.

I will be sure to keep up the practice, I need to make sure he has got the comands clear as now and then after doing roll over several times he anticipates the comand and just does instant roll over when I get the treat out. When he did this I stopped doing roll over and went back to sit and he rolled over. I never gave treat but moved so he had to get up and follow and did sit again and rewarded it when he did. So now have to practice each comand not same one over and over but mix them up so he can distinguish them.

I am so so pleased with my boy and you know he really enjoys it when I tell him "Clever" in such a loving happy voice he is so so happy after each training session he gives me kisses kisses kisses and jumps round so happy to be pleasing me and getting 1-1 attention.

Ruthx
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!