View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
miamymia
Yorkie Yakker

Default Loose knee caps(?) in hindlimb

How do you do, I am very glad to find this website. My dog is about 12.5 years old (I acquired her two years ago), and had gone through a number of health problems - many middle of the night visits to the emergency vet... Fortunately, she has been doing much much better than when I first took her in I had a question about "loose kneecaps". Both of her back legs are not so stable as they tend to give out easily when she walks on non-smooth surface such as a bundle of blanket or my lap. During one of emergency vet visits, she mentioned about "loose kneecap" which is common in small dogs such as yorkies, and I have heard that some doggies even have problem walking even when they are much younger. I have seen one yorkie pup during another time at emergency vet, and this small pup was getting corrective surgery on the "loose kneecaps". My question is if anyone knows about loose kneecaps in older yorkies as mine. I am assuming it is very likely that the condition of the joints will worsen as she ages and if arthritis was to be added to the condition in the future, then her mobility may deteriorate rather rapidly... Is it common for older yorkies to receive corrective surgery for this type of condition? Also does this type of hindlimb condition affect control of bladder in any way?

If anyone with experience or knows about this type of concern could share them, I really appreciate it

Thank you
miamymia is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!