Thread: poorly ears
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
red98vett
Yorkie Kisses are the Best!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady1
Could anyone give me some advice. My little yorkie, called Trafford has an ear infection. He has been given some Otomax drops from the vet along with antibiotics and pain killers. Whatever i do to try and get the drops in he goes mad. He just wont let me near. Ive tried everything, i think.... The vet says that the drops are important and if i cant get them in Trafford may have to have an operation and have them washed out. I really want to avoid this, so any suggestions would be welcome..Thanks
I have a cocker that lives on ottomax and Baytril and can't imagine her fighting me but I sure can imagine my yorkies doing that - Man - the medicine IS important and since I do Tessa's ears constantly - this is what I'd do - Did he give you a cleaner ?? That helps get the crud out before you put the medicine in (I do this each time but with a cocker you have to use a cleaner or the medicine doesn't go into the ear all the way - yorkies are probably different)

first - WRAP that baby up in a towel like a mummy. Make it nice and tight with his feet inside the towel and make sure it isn't choking his neck lol - (I have to wrap Cheri like this to do her nails)

2nd - have someone help you if you can and hold his head STILL - if you don't have help - then I would just sit where you can hold him with your legs AND arms ....do a Wrestling move on him where he is totally immobilized.

3rd. This is when you tell him YOU ARE THE BOSS and way bigger !

4th - Drop a few drops in (5) and GENTLY massage the ear - if this hurts him just hold his head if you can - and try to keep him still while the medicine gets in there -

ottomax is thick - it takes a minute to get into the ear canal. and if he's freaking out - try a treat or talking to him - but hold tight till you get the other ear done. If it's REALLY a fight - do one ear - then when you can catch him after he's done being pissed at you - do the other ear - Try to not make it traumatic and you'll probably have to keep moving the medicine cause he'll catch on to that really quick and be in the wind when you reach for it -

hope this helps !!

I usually sit and rub Tessas ears really gently till I think she's got enough in there cause they'll shake their heads so hard it flies out. Cockers are way more laid back than yorkies about this stuff - but this is like doing nails - you've got to do it and will resort to drastic Military measures lol -

after - get you a nice drink and put your feet up

Last edited by red98vett; 11-28-2006 at 03:11 PM.
red98vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!