View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 03:46 AM   #7
cometsmom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewysmom
I got Chewy his last set of shots today. His rabies will be done in 2 weeks. I asked the vet if I could walk him now and she told me that I can only do that after he gets rabies unless I want him to get sick. Have any of you taken your dogs out before their rabies shot? I took out my old dog before his rabies. Any advice?
...Hi Chewysmom:

I kept my comet along the perimeters on the grass outside of my home until he received all of his shots. It was just as important to me that my dog be socialized early on in the game, and to be able to deal with his surroundings without being frightened or shy. As the weeks went by and he got more of his shots, I would take him on longer walks around the block. The key is to always keep him on a leash when you are walking him, so that you can control his interaction with other people and other dogs. If you know your neighbors well and the dogs in your neighborhood, then you should get a good idea of whether the neighborhood dogs are vaccinated as well.

I do not allow my dog to play with dogs who do not have all of their vaccinations. This is a precautionary measure that I take to keep my yorkie safe. To answer your question, I have taken my comet outside after his rabies shot and he was fine perfectly fine. He's trained to go outdoors, so he's used to it. Hope this advice serves you well. cometsmom

Last edited by cometsmom; 05-29-2005 at 03:52 AM.
cometsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!