Thread: Parrots anyone?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
LuvMySissy
Luv my Angel, too!
Donating Member

What kind of parrot? There is a bird breeder in Belleville, MI that sells Cocatoos and Parrots (Amazon Greys, Blue & Gold Macaws & Rainbow Macaws), though I'm not sure I remember their names!!!

We got my grandparents a Cocatoo 14 years ago from them. I know that Macaws are more expensive than Amazon Greys, but I think around $1000. Their Cocatoos were the most expensive birds they sold.

Amazon Greys are much smaller parrots and are generally friendly (if raised to be). Macaws are known as one person birds and will generally bite others. All large birds (Macaws and Cocatoos, especially) have very strong jaws and can bite through a human finger or toe. A Macaw could do serious damage to someone it attacked both through claws and beak!!!

Most of these birds exist on a diet that is a combination of seeds, nuts and fruit. They can also carry diseases, so make sure you know where they come from. Respiratory illnesses that humans catch from them can be common. Birds are best taken care of with a vet that comes to you who specializes in bird care.

Even the most loving bird can become aggressive without warning. My grandparents Cocatoo was a wonderful bird who liked to snuggle, but could be snuggling one minute and biting you the next!!

Hope this helps....
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!