Thread: Just chattin'
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004, 04:50 AM   #1
Higgin's Dad
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Just chattin'

It cool here in Florida this morning (39). Since we're from Maine, that's not really cold, y'know. Higgins sends greetings to Toto waaaaay out there in the Colorado snow......

Was reading a post about trimming around the face and wanted to pass along a tip I got from the groomer here: When I told her that Higgins wouldn't let me do ANYTHING to his face, like washing it, she said: "God gave Yorkies a gift just for us: Their beards! Just get a handful of that beard and you have complete control over their head to do what needs to be done." She can still do it waaaaaaay better than me, but I'm getting the hang of it. It doesn't hurt them at all, just gives you a little control.

I talked to my daughter-in-law on the phone yesterday and she told me that Princess the Chihuahua and my son got in BIG trouble with the vet a couple of days ago. Princess was at the vet's for booster shots and her checkup and had gained weight. Chubby. And guess who feeds her all the little fattening goodies? My son. They both got a BIG lecture on the dangers of overweight for little dogs. Can cause liver problems and arthritis. (As a very overweight human, it sure wreaks havoc with my arthritis.) Said to NOT feed them little table goodies. And of course, we DO give Higgins those little table treats. I think the only reason he isn't overweight is that he RUNS all day long and burns it off. At any rate, when we took care of Princess in September while they were on their honeymoon, she had arrived fat and by the time they came back in two weeks, she was svelte and trim from running around the yard with Higgins. They live in an apartment, so she doesn't get as much exercise. My 13 year old grandaughter's comment was "Princess needs to go back to Grandma's Fat Camp!"

Higgins will be one year old on December 28th. Hard to believe -- where does the time go??? He has been eating Natural Choice Puppy kibble, and I'm wondering when he should go to eating "adult" food. The puppy food has more fat.....does he need it now? I can get Royal Canin here (can't find it in Maine) and I think I may try that......I'll keep ya posted.

That's our morning thoughts this lazy Sunday. Got all my Christmas shopping done, wrapped, and ready to mail: Gift Cards from Barnes & Noble for everyone! Easy when we're on the road, and the grandkids LOVE 'em.

Hope you and your dear little furbabies are all fine and dandy today!

Mary Ellen
Higgin's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!