View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I just went through all this a few weeks ago so I know how you’re feeling! First of all, I bought a pack of receiving blankets that I took to the breeder and she rubbed the mother dog with them. I don’t know if it helped Joey, but it sure made me feel better knowing he had momma’s scent with him. I bought a cute car seat at Target, it looks similar to luggage on wheels. It’s the best purchase I made because it doubles as a bed. We also had a crate, but it’s too big and he would soil himself. I just keep the carrier next to my bed. At first he woke me up twice a night, but after 4 weeks he’s sleeping all night. When he wakes me I take him into bathroom where there is a pee pad and food and water. Breeder said that food should be available at all times. If he doesn’t go after 3 minutes he goes back in carrier, he learned very quickly to go. The bathroom’s small so it’s easy to just keep putting him back on his pad. Now after he’s done, he walks back to carrier and tries to get in! If he’s whinny the carrier has a zipper around it and I can just unzip it enough to put my hand in and comfort him a little. (He licks my hand off.) Usually it takes less than a minute to settle him down. Dogs are pack animals and he just wants to know I’m there. I also found a cute stuffed animal that plays a lullaby that I keep in there. He loves it.

I found some boot trays at the dollar store. They’re about the size of a cookie sheet and are make of plastic. I put a pee pad on them and top with a piece of newspaper. Joey like his pad changed every time or he’ll go someplace else, so this way all I have to do is change the newspaper. It also solves the problem of him going on the edge of the paper and it landing on floor because the tray has a lip on it so he centers himself more.

Don’t overlook the dollar store for extra toys, the more toys they have the less they’ll bother your things and rotate toys so they don’t get bored. Also, bitter apple spray works great for discouraging chewing on your things.

We keep a regular pet bed in a playpen, but he's doing so well with the potty training that he doesn't spend much time in playpen.

Most importantly FIND A GOOD BREEDER and find out what foods, grooming supplies she recommends.

Good luck to you!
Nancy
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!