View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Jazzy Girl
Senior Yorkie Talker

Confused

I had a similiar experience the other day. I was at the mall Christmas shopping and went into the pet store to see if they had any cute cat Christmas toys. I already got my dogs adorable Christmas toys but am short on cat toys.
Well, I should not have gone in the Pet Store. All their puppies were also asleep, none of them had any toys or food in their cages. They did have water bottles. They all looked so lethargic and sad. They had many types of dogs. They also had birds, rabbits and hamsters. There were 4 yorkie pups and 4 shih tzu pups (which are the breeds of my 2 dogs). I asked to see the littlest Yorkie. She was small and very fragile looking. When she was taken out of her cage and handed to me, she was sooooooo limp and seemed to have no pep at all. I have a yorkie pup the same age, that is on constant go, go, go; so it was very wierd to see a puppy this still and uncaring about her environment. Then I asked the price of the puppy and was told it was $2,189.00! I said "You have to be kidding me, $2,189.00 for a puppy mill pup!". Of course the salesperson told me that their puppies are not puppy mill puppies and that the little Yorkie had 10 AKC champions in her lineage! I told her: "If that puppy had 10 champions in her lineage, she would never be sitting in a pet store". I then pointed out that all the dogs were from the Hunte Corp, which is one of the biggest puppy mills in the US. Needless to say, the store clerk was not happy and kept denying where the puppies came from. However, I was able to talk 2 people looking at puppies, out of buying a puppy from this store. The clerk was not happy--but too bad. All the clerks working in the store were teenagers who probably know nothing about the proper breeding and sale of dogs. After I had talked 2 people out of purchasing puppies from this pet store, I decided I better leave. I had to get back to work and I did not want them to call security on me. But I felt a little better because at least the pet store had lost 2 sales!
I am seriously thinking about printing out information and pictures of puppy mills and standing in front of the pet store and handing them out. My family is against this because they think I will get arrested or at least thrown out of the mall. But I do not see how I could get arrested. People are always passing out flyers in the mall.
Jazzy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!