View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
shadream
Senior Yorkie Talker

Charlie is 11.5 mos. old, and he started itching his nose last May, he was on prednisone which did not help, benadryl and other things which did not work, I finally took him to a vet speacializing in allergies in pets. She did not recommenc doing test for food allergies as she said they were not reliable, she did however run a scan for environmental allegies, and the test came back positive for two kiinds of mold spores, Furasium and Pennicillium, which are found in corn fields and on strawberry and tomato plants just to name a few, so until hard frost, he will have to more or less suffer thru. In May we will probably start over, the vet said that he will have to have shots through the season and that the season will eventually last all year if he is typical. Not encouraging to say the least.
I have had him on rabbit and potatoe diet which did seem to help and have been trying to find out what else he is allergic to hoping it is more of a food allergy than environmental as it would be much easier to deal with and control.
Corn is the one thing so far that I have found he is definitely allergic to, hopefully I will find others and the food will have been the biggest culprit.
I wish u the best, this is a frustrating problem and I can only tell you to be patient which is hard to do when your dog turns into their own worst enemy with the scratching and licking paws.

Lil Cheeky Charlie's mom
shadream is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!