View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
yorkieK9trainer
YT 1000 Club Member

Default Don't follow my example!

Well, I'll begin w/ saying that it was truly an accident. I first blamed my brother, but it really was just an accident...

My younger brother (16 at the time) was staying over night at my apartment. We left the apartment so that I could take him home before I had to go to work that day and I had two of my dogs w/ me. One was a Shiba-Inu named "Hibiki" and the other was my little Isaac.
Neither dogs were on leashes-never are really. And yes, they're very obedient, I tell them once and they're consistent...anyway, we go to get in the car
(DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT THE DETAILS!!!)
and Hibiki is first to jump in through my door on command. Mind you, I've told Isaac to go potty and so he leaves my side and runs back into the grass and proceeds to pee. I sit down in the driver seat w/ my door open waiting for Isaac. I can see him in the grass through my windsheild. I call him over and he comes running to my side of the car. I look to the left and see him, but I have stuff on my lap, so I turn to the right to put it down in the back seat and then I look to my left again....Where's Isaac?? At THIS moment, my brother sits down promptly and *sigh* shuts his door.
What had happened is-Issac came to my side of the car waiting to be picked up. When he realized that my attention had gone to the right, HE went to the right...right under the car to my brother's side. He didn't know Isaac was waiting to be picked up....

It was bad, but not as bad as we initially thought. He was bleeding all over my lap as we RUSHED- No joke- to the nearest hospital...a little less than 10 minutes away. I was doing 60 in a 35 zone on a pretty consistent basis. I ran a few red lights (looking to be sure no one was coming), I proceeded to more or less run any stop sign I came to....IT WAS BAD.
Well, to no suprise, a cop pulls in behind me. I ignore him and continue to the hospital. It gets to the point where he gets on his speaker and orders me to stop the vehicle.

I STOPPED MY VEHICLE ALRIGHT! As soon as I did, I opened my door w/ Isaac braced on my forearm and my other hand on top to completely immobilize him. I SHOVE Issac's little body into the open window of the police officers vehicle and all I said was: "YOU FOLLOW ME TO THE HOSPITAL" and I left so fast I didn't even hear if he said anything.

I was driving so fast that I passed the driveway to the hospital by maybe 10 feet and screeched to a halt-literally (there were tire marks on the pavement) and put on my blinkers, left my car in the road and RAN Issac into the hospital. Before the cop could follow in behind me, I YELLED for assistance, and said "I don't care what it takes, you do what you have to do to make sure this dog lives!" and left my little brother (distraught over what he had done to my dog) to explain further as needed. I went to go move my car and the cop comes inside YELLING at me. (understandable so)
He said do you realize you could've killed someone??? *blah blah blah....* and he was absolutely right! My little brother all but got into his face...bad move, I took over and while he said that he should arrest me, he's not going to.
-?- THERE IS A GOD!!! And he left. Nothing further!
I don't remember exactly what happened next w/ my car, but as far as Isaac goes, the bleeding has stopped on it's own and he was breathing on his own, but it was labored. And they didn't have untensils sufficiently small enough to really deal w/ his situation. X-rays were taken and things look "decent" at best. We had to rush him to a specialty clinic that was a half hour away!
He was on oxygen and a few other things in the back seat of my car as my parents drove us. I'll never forget that drive. It seeemed to take forever.

The end result was the neurologist took new x-rays and discovered that Isaac had nothing more than a hairline fracture at the base of his skull. Normally not fatal. His particular case was that the top of his spinal column that meets the brain had a pinched blood supply and so while he was getting oxygen...not enough of it.
IF I HAD AN OXYGEN TANK, HE SHOULD'VE BY ALL MEANS SURVIVED. But what can ya do? Live an learn. The neurologist agreed that he probably would've. But he had gone so long w/o sufficient oxygen that he said he could revive him most likely, but that he'd be a vegetable the rest of his life.
And so we wound up euthanizing him.

That's it in as much of a nutshell as I can get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isaac.jpg (21.4 KB, 308 views)

Last edited by yorkieK9trainer; 11-14-2006 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Image didn't upload
yorkieK9trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!