Thread: Pre-anesthesia?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
bellaismybaby
Donating Yorkie Yakker

I am an OR nurse and at work right now and the anesthesiologist had never heard of ACE or telazol. Keep in mind he has never worked with animals.

My vet says they use Atropine & Ace as a pre-anethestic. What is this stuff? Is it safe?
Atropine has a temporary systemic effect of speeding up the heart rate (among other things) I not sure what ACE is.

And also Telazol to knock them down so they can put the tube in the throat for the Isoflurane. Is Telazol safe too? Tube? nobody told me the Isoflurane needed a tube to get to him?

I found this on a web site:Telazol serves as a rapidly acting general anesthetic that provides significant pain relief, immobility, and muscle relaxation.
Here is the site http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...zol/page1.aspx

Isoflurane is the gas they use after induction to keep them asleep. I recommend sevoflurane (if your vet has it) It will cost a little more, but they do better after surgery. We use it on humans (along with iso sometimes if there is a reason not to use sevo) everyday.
I hope this helps....

She also said that it was ok at 5 months to have Venus spayed.

My vet also recommended spay at 5 mos. Before they go into first heat. I decided to wait until about 6 mos. to also get any remaining teeth pulled at the same time.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!