Thread: Leash Pulling
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #24
WhimsicalDaisy
Senior Yorkie Talker

I wouldn't trust my Yorkie with anyone recommending a collar that is designed to pull on his neck...I'd explain the situation that their methodology just isn't safe for your wee one & point them in the direction of YT to learn about collapsed tracheas, if necessary, demand a refund, and find a new training class. I may be a paranoid momma, but it hasn't changed in 15 years with my oldest child, and it's not likely to change with my dog, either. Color me set in my ways, but I'm a safety nut!

As for leash training, the thing that's working for us is TREATS. LOL When we go for walks, we keep a little bag of treats. When he pulls on the leash, I stop walking. I start walking again when he stops pulling. Constantly talking to him to keep his attention, and offering treats when passing by something or someone he shouldn't investigate...bending over & keeping the treat at his nose is sometimes what it takes, but he's getting the idea & eventually it will be easier.

As for walking on different surfaces, Max has a problem with that, too. At first he was scared of grass, and then concrete, and now he's moved on to anything bumpy. We're working with a "walk it" command, and practice with different textures that are safe for him to walk across. Grass, gravel, sand, sidewalks, the side of a crate, etc...he gets lots of praise & a treat when he walks across something that he wouldn't have in the past, so he's getting the idea here, too.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!