View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss of Lily. This is the first I am reading about it, but will go back and find out what happened.

The puppies should eat 1 ml per pound of body weight every 3 hours (5 ml = 1 teaspoon). Sounds like they are eating enough in one feeding that you can do it every 3 hours. If they are not eating the recommended amount you will have to feed less more often. Don't overfill their little tummies and feed in a natural position like they would nurse from mom (on their tummies). They will not be able to regulate their own body temperature until at least 4 weeks old. Keep them warm, but be careful of not getting them too hot because this can lead to dehydration. Here in El Paso in the desert, we have to add a little humidity to prevent this when raising orphans. Heating pads work well covered in a towel. The first week they should be kept in an environment between 85 and 90 degrees, then slowly reduce to 80 in the second week. By the 4th week 75 degrees is enough.

Do weigh every day. I always just use the ounce scale for the Yorkies. I do have a gram scale because I raise Parrotlets (world's smallest parrots), but I don't think I have ever used it on the Yorkies. They seem to grow so fast it is very apparent on even an ounce scale.

Once again, I am very, very sorry for your loss. Please keep us updated on the puppies.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!