Thread: Is It A Yorkie?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #10
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose
Recently, we got another yorkie. She is beautiful. Her name is Millie. We compared her puppy pictures with our other yorkie (5 years old) when she was a pup and they look very very similar in color and looks.

However, one professional vet, at least 20 years experience, said he thinks she is a yorkie-poo. Our vet, on the other hand, said she looks like a full yorkie.

So, I'm curious how these two professionals can mis-label my girl. Honestly, it really doesn't matter at this point because we are keeping her and she has stolen our hearts.

Just curious what you all thought about this conflict between these two professional vets.

How can I post a picture so that I can show Millie?
If they are registered and from a reputable breeder, they likely are both purebred. If they are not, it is anyones' guess.
Yorkies can vary a lot in appearance within the breed. If the parents are pet quality, offspring can and will drift further from the breed standard, which is what I have been explaining on this forum for a long time now.
Veterinarians are not very well informed on various breeds and the breed standards for purebreds. They would usually not know by looking at a puppy or dog and be able to tellyou whether or not it is a purebred. Vets that work with reputable show breeders will know because they have seen them on a regular basis and actually learn from that show breeder, not the other way around.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!