Thread: Crate Training
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #6
doortego
Little Bit & Buttons
Donating Member

Default sorry to jump in but

I was hoping that at some time I could abandon the crate but you are still using it at 2 yrs. The wire crate just doesn't match my decor@ lol

My question is, Even after they are completely crate trained, we still cannot just leave them loose in the house? I was really hoping that at some point, we could just let her run loose with a potty pad or she would hold it to go outside.

thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
It's been my experience that this doesn't hold true for Yorkies, at least not for Loki. He could hold it maybe an hour when he was 5 months old. Now he can go 5 or 6 but I only crate him that long maybe a couple times a month. I try to stick with less than 4 hours. (He's almost 2.) People seem surprised when their pup needs to pee every 30 mins, but it's not their fault!

Loki is outside trained and crate training was our friend Loki loves his crate and will go there on command. He even will run there when I pick up my keys and put my shoes on. It also helps because he behaves well in his car seat in the car because it is like being in a crate. It is also wonderful for time outs when he needs to chill for a while. It was a lifesaver when he was a baby and I needed to do normal things like cook or take a shower and I couldn't keep a close eye on him. If I didn't crate him I'd come downstairs to a puddle, but the crate helped us keep our sanity. Loki was "crate trained" meaning no accidents in the crate FAR before he stopped having accidents in the house. Every time he had an accident we took a step back with the training. He is perfect now

Do yourself a favor - if you have an upstairs and downstairs buy two crates. We had one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. Tiny crates. Now he has one big crate in the living room!
doortego is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!