Thread: Crate Training
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnot

Yorkies have little bladders cause they're small dogs. Seems I just read that for every month, you can say they'll hold it 1 hour. I don't know if this is true or not. So with Venus being 5 months, she should be able to hold it 5 hours, using that method.

Crate training sure works better than the older methods! I sure never got this far with my older yorkie, that I didn't crate.
It's been my experience that this doesn't hold true for Yorkies, at least not for Loki. He could hold it maybe an hour when he was 5 months old. Now he can go 5 or 6 but I only crate him that long maybe a couple times a month. I try to stick with less than 4 hours. (He's almost 2.) People seem surprised when their pup needs to pee every 30 mins, but it's not their fault!

Loki is outside trained and crate training was our friend Loki loves his crate and will go there on command. He even will run there when I pick up my keys and put my shoes on. It also helps because he behaves well in his car seat in the car because it is like being in a crate. It is also wonderful for time outs when he needs to chill for a while. It was a lifesaver when he was a baby and I needed to do normal things like cook or take a shower and I couldn't keep a close eye on him. If I didn't crate him I'd come downstairs to a puddle, but the crate helped us keep our sanity. Loki was "crate trained" meaning no accidents in the crate FAR before he stopped having accidents in the house. Every time he had an accident we took a step back with the training. He is perfect now

Do yourself a favor - if you have an upstairs and downstairs buy two crates. We had one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. Tiny crates. Now he has one big crate in the living room!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!