View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
vainchick5
YT 6000 Club Member

From what I know Yams are the orange ones that you use for thanksgiving. But then again I thought they were the same thing just two names. I know there is another potatoe that tastes just like the yam but it's yellow/pale, maybe thats the sweetpotatoe. But I think Yams are MUCH better. THey have a sweeter taste to them and are amazingly moist. Yams are among the top favorites of mine. I've been eating them 3 times a week for the last month. I've been craving yams like crazy. They are the best (the orange ones). I'd go with that. Here's the difference from a website:
Several decades ago, when orange-fleshed sweet potatoes were introduced in the southern United States, producers and shippers desired to distinguish them from the more traditional, white-fleshed types. The African word nyami, referring to the starchy, edible root of the Dioscorea genus of plants, was adopted in its English form, yam. Yams in the U.S. are actually sweetpotatoes with relatively moist texture and orange flesh. Although the terms are generally used interchangeably, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the label "yam" always be accompanied by "sweetpotato." The following information outlines several differences between sweetpotatoes and yams.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!