View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #16
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

<<Generally, a red legged Yorkie is usually introduced into the breeding program to bring back the true blue and gold colors when a line is getting too washed out (more silver than blue).>>
This is not true at all if you ask knowledgable long time show breeders, ie someone in it longer than 25 years.
I was having a problem with coats going light until I got Tommy who has a strong Durrer background. Betty Anne does not keep or have red leg Yorkies, any soft coats that might appear are sold for pet. The colour on Tommy is awesome AND the colour on his offspring is looking good so far. Yes I still get some that look like they may go light but not near as light as some of my previous ones. Many look like they are going to hold colour and are silk coated.
In conversing with Betty Anne and others with her years and experience, breed good colour silk and you will for the most part produce it. OF course, there will be light ones showing up, but decide what is in the best interest of the breed as to whether you will keep them in a breeding program.
NOW that I know that, I would be hard pressed to keep a light coated or soft coated male. A female maybe, depending on the pedigree and other factors. I would never consider keeping or using or getting a red leg.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!