View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #14
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmsmom
I don't see why you can't to be honest. I am no breeder but... there is a breeder on here who bred a red legged yorkie to I am assuming a silky coat yorkie. Their coat types were different and everyone seemed to be ok with it. I wouldn't think that would be any different.
Generally, a red legged Yorkie is usually introduced into the breeding program to bring back the true blue and gold colors when a line is getting too washed out (more silver than blue).

I only breed silk coated Yorkies because I want the best chance in producing silk coated Yorkies. Just guessing, I think if you breed a non silk coat to a silk coat the non-silk is more dominant and you would probably have a higher percentage of puppies with non-silk coat or at least soft silk coats. It really is hard to tell the coat as a puppy that's why I would want to purchase from two silk coated parents that have produced silk coated puppies. Just an observation, it seems like the nonsilk coats have more hair as puppies, fluffier and thicker.

I have nothing against nonsilks, it's just that grooming is so much more of a challenge. My silk coats require only about 2 minutes of grooming per day, whereas my soft coat requires about 15 - 20 minutes a day. For those that like a puppy cut the nonsilks actually look better because they have a bit of a curl to their hair, but I personally like my Yorkies the longer, the silkier, the better.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!